Social psychologist Robert Chayldini noticed that people willingly respond with courtesy courtesy. If you send a postcard to a stranger, he will most likely do the same. If you first give a flower to a passerby, and only then offer to make a donation, he is unlikely to refuse. Childldi called this phenomenon the rule of mutual exchange.
This rule has 3 features: it is universal, imposes obligations and can initiate an unequal exchange. All this makes it a powerful marketing tool. And the cost of organizing a recreation area in retail outlets is an investment. Let's figure out how to make a comfortable chair and free coffee increase sales.
How to equip a recreation area in the store?
Even a hastily set table with magazines and a pair of chairs are better than nothing. But, to achieve the maximum effect, approach the question in detail. Start by choosing a place:
- Rely on the specifics. If we are talking about a clothing store, placing this area in the fitting room, you will enlist the support of those who accompany buyers. And after all, they usually hurry or offer to "think and come back." If this is an electronics store, combine the rest with the “test drive” of the TV or set-top box.
- Find a balance between visibility and comfort. Recreation area in the heart of the trading hall is not the best idea. After all, how to relax in plain sight? But hiding this corner from prying eyes is also not worth it. Many visitors will not find him, and those that have found will forget where they are.
- Consider attendance. In the elite boutique, where rarely someone drops in, you can get by with a single seat. In other cases, choose the corner where you can fit a few chairs, and better — and even a sofa. It is impossible to place them too tightly. Otherwise, guests will unwittingly violate each other’s private space.
What furniture to buy?
The selection of furniture for the recreation area is also not as simple as it seems:
- More is better. The program minimum — at least 2 chairs. If the area allows, sofas, ottomans and coffee tables will come to the rescue.
- Comfort should be stimulating. If the visitor starts to get sleepy, sales will not increase. Therefore, a sofa in which you can drown, save for the house. The optimal choice of furniture for the recreation area — office solutions.
- Do not forget about the quality of the filler. In a popular store, couch and armchairs will have a hard time. If in a month or two they are covered with crushed holes, the client's relaxation zone will quickly turn into a zone of your shame.
- Prefer practical upholstery. Cleanliness is a guarantee of not only health, but also commercial success. Therefore, in favor of materials that are easy to clean. Azur, antara, natural and eco-leather — here is a list of options for every taste and wallet.
How to create the right atmosphere?
As always, the ball is ruled by an integrated approach:
- The decor. Elegant lamps, mirrors, figurines, floor vases, even a carpet. Which of the following best sets the tone for the interior? Depends on the store, its target audience and corporate identity. To neglect trifles just not worth it.
- Lighting. If possible, muffled. But it is important not to cross the line between relaxing and intimate atmosphere. Therefore, avoid colored (eg red or pink) light sources.
- Care. Fresh magazines on various topics and a free cup of tea or freshly ground coffee. Remember the rule of mutual exchange? By accepting your courtesy, the visitor will feel uncomfortable if he leaves without a purchase.
- Staff. One of the most important aspects in the organization of a recreation corner in stores is not related to either design-design or furnishing. Explain the importance of friendly communication to staff. It even compensates for the flaws in the layout.
In our area, the rest area in the store, alas, is still associated with overpriced and feigned courtesy. Is it time to destroy this stereotype? While others think, you have the opportunity not only to take psychology as an ally, but also to acquire another competitive advantage.